ONE-POT VEGAN WHITE BEAN SHAKSHUKA
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head kale, destemmed and chopped
- 28 oz diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper
- pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 15 oz can cannellini beans
- Vegan/regular cream cheese and handful of chopped fresh parsley for topping
Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until transparent. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes, until fragrant. Then add the kale, cover and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until wilted down.
To the skillet, add the tomatoes and their juices. Add the smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, salt & pepper, and red pepper flakes (optional). Stir to combine and allow the sauce to come to a simmer. Add the white beans and cook until heated through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Top with dollops of vegan) cream cheese then sprinkle with pepper and chopped parsley.
Serve warm with toasted bread and enjoy!
Note: I substitute baby spinach or kale for the head of kale (5-8 ozs works!)