VEGAN ASPARAGUS RISOTTO
Ready for some magic? This vegan asparagus risotto is incredibly rich and creamy. So many people believe that the creaminess of risotto comes from tons of butter, cream, and cheese. But all the deliciousness comes from the starch contained in the rice. This risotto is the perfect dinner for springtime.
- 1 bunch asparagus (20 to 30 spears)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup Arborio rice (or Cairnaroli rice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- Divide the asparagus tips from the stems. Cut the stems into small chunks and chop the onion.
- Heat the broth in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Gently cook the asparagus tips for 3-4 minutes, and set them aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Add the rice to the pot, and let it toast for 1 minute, constantly stirring to prevent the rice from sticking to the pot and burning. Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the wine. Keep stirring until the wine has evaporated.
- Now it’s time to cook the rice. Set a timer to 20 minutes. Add the chopped asparagus stems, then start adding the vegetable broth one or two ladle-full at a time. Keep stirring and wait for the rice to absorb most of the broth before adding more. Continue doing this until the rice is cooked.
- Adjust with a bit of salt and pepper, add some chopped parsley and fresh thyme, and stir well
- Cover with a lid and let the asparagus risotto rest for 3 minutes. Then give it a good final stir.
- Serve in individual plates, topped with the asparagus tips, some fresh thyme, spring onions, and toasted pine nuts. Vegan parmesan is optional!
No comments yet.