FROM THE SIMPLE VEGANISTA
Prep Time: 15 min
- cup dried quinoa, rinsed
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (14 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half (diced red bell pepper would work here too)
- 1 cup English cucumber, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 jar (7 oz) kalamata olives (about 1 cup), pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- juice of 1 large lemon
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- pepperoncini, to serve
- lemon slices, to serve (optional)
- arugula, to serve (optional)
Quinoa: Rinse the quinoa using a fine-mesh strainer. In a medium-size pot, add the water, quinoa, and garlic powder and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover and let stand for 10 – 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Assemble: Once quinoa is ready, add in the chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, and parsley. Mix well. Season with salt, fresh cracked pepper, and the juice of 1 large lemon.
Serve on a bed of arugula or as is. Tastes great with pepperoncini and a little extra lemon juice over top. Add extra virgin olive oil if you wish. Season to taste with salt + pepper.
This dish can be served warm, at room temperature, or chilled.