Crispy Veggie Taquitos
This recipe for Crispy Veggie Taquitos was adapted from Ela Vegan
- 2 medium-large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1 medium carrot, grated or finely diced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 5 oz cheese of choice
- taco seasoning, to sprinkle on top of taquitos (optional)
- 8–10 tortillas
- Peel and chop the potatoes and cook in a pot with boiling water and salt until fork tender which takes about 12-15 minutes. Drain the water and mash the potatoes with a potato masher. You can add a splash of plant-based milk for a creamier result. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan/skillet over medium-high heat and add the chopped onion. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, then add the grated carrot, minced garlic, all spices and sauté for a further minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, add peas (frozen), put the lid on and cook for a few minutes until the carrot is softened. If you use frozen peas, make sure to let them thaw completely. If using canned peas, drain and rinse (no need to cook, add them in the next step). Turn off the heat.
- Add the mashed potatoes and cheese. Use a fork or a potato masher to combine everything.
- Taste the veggie mixture and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/black pepper/spices to taste. If you want it spicier, add more red pepper flakes to taste.
- Preheat oven to 410 F (210 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place about 2-3 Tbsp of the filling onto each tortilla and roll them up tightly. Place every tortilla seam-side down on the baking sheet, next to each other. Brush with a little vegetable oil (to make them even more crispy) and sprinkle with some taco seasoning.
- Bake in the oven for about 17-20 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Broil for a few extra minutes (optional).
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, queso or guacamole.
No comments yet.