HEALTHY MEXICAN BAKED SWEET POTATOES
- medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 3/4 cup canned corn rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon each smoked paprika, dried oregano, brown sugar, chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, cumin, salt
- 4 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro roughly chopped ( or green onions DR CL)
- Scrub the sweet potatoes under running water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over them and rub the oil all over with your hands.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine all seasoning ingredients.
Prepare the filling:
- About 20 minutes before the potatoes come out of the oven, place a large skillet over high heat.
- Put the corn in the skillet, sprinkle with seasoning and let the corn roast for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In the same skillet add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the bell pepper, onion, sprinkle with the seasoning mix and sauté until soft.
- In a large bowl mix together the corn, black beans, onion and pepper.
Prepare the toppings:
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream with the lime zest and juice. Set aside.
Assemble the potatoes:
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven when fork-tender and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut a slit down the middle of each one and squeeze the ends to open.
- Fill each potato with a generous amount of filling, top with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with cilantro.
No comments yet.