- 1 sweet potato, thinly sliced
- 5 cups mushrooms of choice (e.g. cremini, Portobello, shiitake), fresh, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup stout or dark beer
- 1/4 cup leeks, white part only
- 1/4 cup shallot, diced
- 2 tablespoons Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon flour, whole wheat or gluten-free
- 1 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon tamari, low sodium
- 1 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, fresh, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large pot, sauté shallots over medium heat until translucent, about 3 minutes, adding a drop or two of water as needed if sticking occurs.
- Add leeks and 3/4 teaspoon thyme and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic and tomato paste and sauté another minute.
- Add mushrooms and cook about 10 minutes, stirring regularly and adding water if needed.
- Sprinkle flour in the pot. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add stout, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in olives, parsley, and black pepper.
- Spoon mushroom mixture into ramekins then layer sliced sweet potatoes on top, overlapping so the mushrooms are covered with two layers of sweet potato. Season with 1/4 teaspoon thyme and black pepper.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are browned and crispy and mushroom gravy is bubbling. Serve.