Your brain has a special fluid circulating inside it called cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Lots of veins and arteries in your brain are filled with blood yet there are special cavities and passageways in your brain and spinal cord filled with CSF.
What is CSF? It’s like your blood plasma – that is, blood without the red blood cells. It does amazing things. For one thing the CSF helps your brain pulsate and that is reflected in the pulsing of your skull (cranial) bones that creates a wave-like motion 8-12 times per minute. (6)
Other things your CSF does:
- Temperature control (brain anti-freeze)
- Waste removal
- Creates cranial bone motion and brain (dural) tension
- Protective barrier against trauma
- Chemical buffer against toxins
- Gives the brain buoyancy, physical and chemical support
Chiropractic adjustments, by releasing stress on the structural system, help promote the unobstructed flow of CSF through the brain and spinal cord.