ONE POT CHEESY MEXICAN LENTILS, BLACK BEANS AND RICE
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup each uncooked long grain brown rice and green lentils rinsed
- 2-3 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (optional
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup defrosted frozen corn
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese, I used sharp cheddar and part skim mozzarella
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large pot or saucepan over medium high heat.
- When the pot is heated spray with cooking oil and add in the onion and garlic.
- Sauté for a couple minutes then add in the brown rice and lentils.
- Add in the vegetable stock, stir and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until lentils and rice are tender.
- If there is any excess liquid drain it.
- Season the rice and lentils with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup of the cheese and stir together.
- Heat the mixture until the cheese is melted.
- Top with the remaining cheese and cover with a lid.
- Heat on low until the cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly.
No comments yet.