Serve this soup with a green salad and whole-grain bread or chapatis.
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups water or Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup dry couscous
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Combine lentils, onion, celery, garlic, cumin, and water or broth in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, then cover loosely and cook until lentils are tender (about 50 minutes.)
Stir in couscous, tomatoes, curry powder, and black pepper. Continue cooking until couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
From Dr C..this combines my love of soup, curry, and lentils into one wonderful dish!