Taco Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
Note from Dr. C I made this with brown rice instead and it was awesome! Sitting outside in our gazebo eating theses on a yummy spring evening was AMAZING!
Taco vegetarian lettuce wraps with quinoa and black beans put a tasty spin on tacos that will actually keep you full with 16 grams of protein per serving!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3 ears of corn, shucked (or 1 cup frozen)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, split in half
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese ( I have used feta too!)
- 1 head of lettuce (I like butter leaf), washed and leaves separated
- 1 avocado, diced
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Rinse quinoa and add to pot. After quinoa has boiled for about 5 minutes, add corn cobs. Continue boiling for another 10 minutes until both quinoa and corn are fully cooked (if using frozen corn just hold off and add it with the peppers).
- Remove from heat and pull out corn cobs. Drain quinoa and set aside. Use a sharp knife to scrape the corn kernels off of the corn cobs.
- While quinoa and corn cook, melt coconut oil over high heat. Add onions and bell pepper and sauté until peppers start to brown.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking until veggies are cooked and lightly browned.
- Stir in salt, chili powder, paprika, cumin, half of the chopped cilantro, and 1/4 cup salsa. Add quinoa and black beans. Stir and remove from heat.
- Serve veggie filling, grated cheese, additional salsa, cilantro, and avocado to lettuce wraps.
No comments yet.