Originally published Killing Thyme
- 1 spaghetti squash approx. 2.5lbs
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 5.5 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or pecorino romano
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil
Cooking the squash:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Carefully slice the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
- Drizzle each half with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with kosher salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place squash, open-side down, onto the prepared baking dish.
- Roast in the oven until tender, about 30 minutes. (While the squash roasts, you can prepare the filling to save time.)
- Remove squash from oven and let rest until cool enough to handle, or handle it while wearing oven mitts.
- Scrape the flesh with a fork to create strands.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet.
- add the garlic and onions and simmer until garlic is fragrant, approx. 2 minutes. Stir often to prevent the garlic from browning.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Dump the spaghetti squash strands into the skillet.
- Add the pesto, tomato sauce and shredded parm.
- Stir to coat the squash.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Evenly redistribute the squash mixture into each squash bowl.
- If topping with mozzarella, do so, and give the squash broil until mozzarella melts
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.