- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 box (16 ounces) spaghetti or whatever pasta you prefer
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
In large saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, carrot, bell pepper and onion. Cook until vegetables are very brown and soft, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add wine; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Use wooden spoon to scrape browned bits from bottom of pan.
Stir in bay leaf, crushed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, water, lentils, oregano, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are tender, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water, as needed, if ragu gets too thick. Remove bay leaf and stir in basil.
Meanwhile, prepare spaghetti according to package directions. (I served ours over Spaghetti Squash)
Serve ragu over spaghetti. Garnish with parsley and serve with Parmesan cheese.