“Oh seriously yummy.” ~Dr C.
- 2 large firm apples, peeled, cored, and halved vertically
- Cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2½ tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups low-fat vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Starting at the outermost edges, cut most (but not all) of the way through each apple half at 1/8-inch intervals.
- Place apple halves, cut sides down, in an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon; brush mixture evenly over apple.
- Cover pan with foil; bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Remove foil. Bake at 400° for5- 10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Remove pan from oven; cool 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, remaining 1½ tablespoons butter, remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, oats, flour, and salt.
- Carefully fan open apple halves.
- Spoon oat mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
- Turn broiler to high (leave pan in oven); broil 2 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream.