- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
1 (5-ounce) bag baby spinach
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large eggs
2 large egg whites
- 1.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
(A note from Dr. C: I think next time I plan to grate the potato as I was not a 100% happy with the crust…It still worked but I think it needs a tweak).
- Preheat the oven to 350°,
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes.. The mandoline speeds up the process significantly and gives you even slices.
- Coat a pie dish with cooking spray, then fill the bottom of the dish with a layer of sweet potato slices.
- Cut the sweet potato rounds in half and fill around the edges of the pie dish; round side facing up.
- Once the entire dish is filled, coat one more time with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn heat up to 375°.
- For the filling, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add spinach; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- Combine milk and next 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Arrange spinach mixture in crust;
- pour egg mixture over spinach.
- Sprinkle with feta.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes;
- cut into 4 wedges.