Each month we look at case studies where chiropractic care has helped people with different health related problems. Some of them may seem obvious, while others may surprise you. Please pass this along to anyone who may be suffering from any of the following:
- High blood pressure
- Pervasive developmental disorder
- Upper back pain, numbness and “nerve feelings” in the hands (T4 Syndrome)
A 72-year- old man with a history of hypertension, arthritis, ringing/buzzing in the ears and numbness/burning in his shoulder sought out chiropractic care. He was on blood pressure medication for one year prior to beginning chiropractic care. During this time his blood pressure had decreased from a baseline of 174/94 to 150/90.
He had a history of traumas that included a motor vehicle accident, a fall from a tree, and a twenty-year involvement with Judo. For the next three months the chiropractor located and corrected (adjusted) his vertebral subluxations.
His blood pressure decreased over the course of care to 132/80. Also his emotional/mental state, stress and life enjoyment, based on a self-rated survey, showed improvements in all categories. (1)
A 33-month- old boy was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) and Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). His symptoms included delays in:
- Cognitive function,
- Gross and fine motor skills,
- Social and emotional development
- Self-help skills
He was also dealing with “fist walking” and bruxism (grinding teeth). He was on ADD medications, antidepressants, anti-seizure and antipsychotic medications to treat his symptoms.
Medically there is no cure.
Chiropractic care consisted of the location and correction of his subluxations. After ten months of care his language
skills had improved greatly and his sensory processing issues had reduced. His mother said, “He seems much more comfortable in his personal space.”
In addition, his bruxism reduced, he was no longer “fist walking” and he had stopped swaying and rocking. His mother reported that he was also beginning to read at a level above his age.
He continues to improve in areas of socializing and continues with chiropractic care. (2)
A 64-year- old woman was suffering from upper back pain, numbness and strange nerve sensations in her hands. She was diagnosed with T4 Syndrome.
Subluxations were located in the upper back that appeared to affect nerves to the upper limbs. Chiropractic adjustments to reduce subluxations were delivered, and by the fifth visit the patient reported complete remission of upper back pain and hand numbness. (3)
- Van Dyke V, Russell D, Alcantara J. Resolution of hypertension in a 72-year- old male following subluxation based chiropractic care: a case report & selective review of the literature. Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research. November 12, 2015:172-177.
- Cohn C. Improvement in autism spectrum disorder following vertebral subluxation reduction: a case study. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health – Chiropractic. 2011;3:87-91.
- Librone P, Kalantarov E. Resolution of T4 syndrome following chiropractic care: a case report. Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research. September 29, 2014:161-168.