They told Columbus the world was flat and he’d go over the edge if he kept going. The experts said formula is as good as breast milk. The experts said thalidomide was safe. Here are some more expert predictions:
- Television won’t last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night. Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946
- Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia. Dr. Dionysius Lardner, 1830
- A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth’s atmosphere. New York Times, 1936
- X-rays will prove to be a hoax. Lord Kelvin, President of the Royal Society, 1883
- The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty, a fad. The President of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer not to invest in the Ford Motor Company, 1903
- The telephone has too many shortcomings to be considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us. Western Union Internal Memo, 1876
Do you know of any crazy predictions? Tell us below!