1 lb small pasta of your choice…rotini, penne or oriochetti…use whole wheat where possible
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-in pieces
- 1 large sweet pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute broccoli, asparagus, pepper, onion, and garlic in olive oil until veggies are just tender, about 7-10 minutes. Stir in spinach, peas, and cherries tomatoes and continue cooking an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove cooked veggies from heat and stir in cooked pasta, 1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking water, lemon juice, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and top pasta primavera with grated Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.