ROASTED CAULIFLOWER AND GRAVY for 6
- 1 big head of cauliflower
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted (divided)
- 4 garlic cloves (skin-on)
- 6 sage leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2-4 c. vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F.
- Rub the cauliflower all over with melted butter. Season with salt and pepper. Place in cast iron skillet, surrounded by garlic, 4 sage leaves, 2 sprigs of thyme and 2 sprigs of rosemary. Bake for 1 – 1/2 hours until charred in parts and tender throughout, brushing with more melted butter
- Pierce the cauliflower with a paring knife skewer to check the tenderness.
- Make gravy. Chop remaining thyme and rosemary leaves. Melt remaining butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and season mixture with salt and pepper. Add herbs and cook until the mushrooms are tender and browned. Add 1-2 cloves of the roasted garlic (skins removed), breaking up the cloves with a whisk or wooden spoon. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in 2 cups of vegetable stock and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and simmer for 5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened to your desired consistency. Add more vegetable stock if desired.